Needless to say I made one during those days (out of a cereal box) and what I really like about them is; it’s based on the Dreadnaught drop pod variant and distinctly different from the infantry drop pods. Nice and chunky and it looks like, you could fit 10 space marines.
During the weekend I found some extra templates which I had printed out long ago and decided to start scratch building these drop pods again. I had planned to make a table top with a “drop pod landing battlefield theme” with pods scattered all over. First off, this will provide plenty of terrain to block line of sight and secondly it will give me a really cool battlefield scenery as well. My plans were set back when I made the doors to the pod a little too big (it was printed at a wrong scale! Gosh!) And after all that cutting, the pieces does not fit and everything just looks wrong. What a waste of a day...i thought
I pulled all 3 doors apart and looked at them. I then decided not to waste such a good component (after all that cutting!) and started gluing them to some old CDs I have lying around.
The results were quite promising. I started to texture the base with sand using PVA glue and then basecoat the entire terrain in black. I added some brown mix and repainted the whole thing in codex grey.
I now have some drop pod rubble to go with my soon to be, ambitious drop pod battlefield theme.
I wonder if I will every get around to make more drop pods. :P
Here is wishing you good luck in all your scratch building